Construction to begin on Strathmore Park Community Centre
February 18, 2022
Construction on the $2.1 million upgrade to the Strathmore Park Community Centre is programmed to start 1 April with an expected completion date of November 2022.
The upgrade will increase functionality, usability and safety for the community, and will include:
- Better internal layout to improve the usability of all the spaces
- New floor, kitchen and bathrooms
- Better storage
- Improved subfloor drainage
- Improved insulation
- Improved outdoor usage and landscaping
The exterior will be dramatically enhanced with a new architectural element of the building featuring an artwork by a Motukairangi local and mana whenua artist Pokau Te Ahuru (Ngāti Tūwharetoa, Te Atiawa, Ngāruahinerangi). Pokau has worked in collaboration with Etch Architecture to translate his striking designs into a functional artwork.
Inspired by Tāniko as well as based on Tukutuku, the artwork encompasses two large timber and aluminium screens which sit on the north-east corner of the community centre. The screens frame large windows and are designed to slide open or closed, creating a focal point for the building and welcoming the community into the centre.
There might be a delay to build start due to building material shortages. An assessment will be made at the end of February if the project can start 1 April. The Council has determined that the contractor, Focus Projects Limited, will not begin on site until all materials have been assembled. This is to prevent any potential extensions of build length.
During the build, the Strathmore Park Community Centre Trust’s arrangements are:
- Extended hours at Raukawa Community Centre, 67 Raukawa Street, Strathmore Park.
- The Monday Kaibosh food rescue will be held at the Assyrian Church Hall, Glamis Avenue
- The Strathmore Park Community Centre coordinator and tea/coffee drop-in will be at Strathmore Plunket rooms, Kinghorne Street on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
For more information about the upgrade and the changing services, go to wellington.govt.nz/strathmore-park , strathmorepark.nz, or contact Fiona Prestidge, the Strathmore Park Community Centre manager at email@example.com